Thursday, November 8, 2012

Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies


Since the time we decided to have a gluten free household, not separate gluten free meals, my husband has been pining for a few special items. Sometimes I will go out of my way to buy these things for him to take to work. More often than not, we just don't think about it when it is grocery day. Several times a year a certain cookie mysteriously ends up on my grocery list app. You know the ones. The soft sugar cookies with the seasonal icing. The ones that just melt away in your mouth like clouds. We really miss those around here.

I'm not going to lie, this recipe made me think. How do you take normally dense and very "un-cloudlike" gluten free goods and make them fluffy? Believe it or not the idea came from my daughter's sensory bin. We like to play with "cloud sand". It's pretty much 1 part sand, 2 parts cornstarch, and 1 part baby oil. It's fun, fluffy, and makes her skin oh so soft. In my brain the cloud sand translated to cookies. I know... it's weird... But it worked!!

Gluten Free Cloud Cookies

You'll Need:
113g Butter
226g White Sugar
2 eggs Plus One Yolk
180ml Sour Cream
2.5ml (1/2tsp) Vanilla Extract
4g Baking Soda
4g Baking Powder
230g Cornstarch
100g Brown Rice Flour
60g  Super Fine Milled Flax Seed

With a mixer cream together your butter and sugar until it is light and airy.

In a separate bowl beat your eggs until the color lightens slightly, then add in your sour cream and vanilla. Whisk together until fully incorporated.

In yet another bowl (sorry dishwasher) combine your remaining dry ingredients and mix until they become one.

With your mixer on low slowly add your egg mixture to your creamed butter and sugar. You will probably need to stop and scrape the sides a few times to make sure that it all mixes. When that is fully mixed slowly start adding in your dry ingredients.

Once everything is mixed it will be more of a batter than a dough. That is okay. Now you need to cover it and refrigerate your mix for at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 375.

Measure out servings a little bigger than a Tablespoon and roll your cold dough into balls. Place the balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet at least 2 in apart. bake at 375 for 15min. Every time you run out of room put your dough back in the fridge, it behaves best cold.

After baking immediately set the cookies out to cool on a wire cooling rack.

Top with your favorite icing and enjoy... I suggest my eggnog icing.

Eggnog Icing

You'll need:
57g unsalted butter
57g cream cheese
256g powdered sugar
1/4tsp nutmeg
5ml vanilla extract
5ml bourbon

Put the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a mixer. Set mixer to high and whip until light.

SLOWLY add your powdered sugar with your mixer on medium high. At this point it may be a good idea to have the splash guard on. After the sugar is incorporated add your nutmeg, vanilla, and bourbon. Spread on thick and garnish with more nutmeg.

Happy Eating!
Tori

2 comments:

  1. I made these today for Christmas and I have to say they are awesome! The frosting is amazing and as long as you follow directions and roll them into balls, they poof up beautifully. (First batch I spooned onto the tray, whoops)

    I did not use parchment paper, I just used my stoneware trays and they came out fabulous. I'm new to this gluten free baking stuff, cooking I have under control, baking is scary and these were a great confidence booster.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed them! I love stoneware as well, mine is still fairly new though so some things still stick. Like these cookies... I'm so glad that these were a baking confidence booster! Good luck with your next baking endeavor :)

      Delete