Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits


Oh boy has this been a busy month! We are successfully settled into our new home (for the most part) and now it's time for life to get back to normal. At least for a little bit, The Jellybean starts preschool this month too! All this busyness and change put me in the mood for some good ole' fashioned comfort food. In particular, I wanted biscuits. Not cheesy garlic drop biscuits. Flakey, tender buttermilk biscuits, with layers. It sounds ambitious, I know.

My first attempt, hockey pucks. My second attempt, incredibly thick pie crusts. This last time the old saying "third time's the charm," really played out. Even The Nerd was saying "mmmmm." He went back for seconds!

You'll Need:
102g Brown Rice Flour
65g Sweet Rice Flour
65g Millet Flour
24g Potato Starch
1tsp Kosher Salt
2tsp Guar Gum
4tsp Baking Powder
1/2tsp Baking Soda
56g Shortening
250ml Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375°

In a large bowl measure out all your dry ingredients. Sift or mix together until the flours, salt, guar gum, baking powder, and baking soda are fully incorporated.

Add in your shortening and then mix together with your hands until it feels like wet beach sand. (If you squeeze it it should hold it's shape somewhat, but will crumble easily. They make tools for mixing shortening into flour called "pastry cutters". You can use one. I don't like them. I cook by feel a lot.)

After your shortening is completely mixed in slowly add your buttermilk in, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula. Mix until everything comes together, but don't over mix.

Lightly dust a work area with some flour (I used millet flour because I have an abundance of it right now, potato starch would work super well. I do not suggest using sweet rice. It has a grittier texture.)

Pour your dough out onto your work space and then lightly flour. Gently Pat your dough down until it's about 3/4" thick. Just use your hands, a rolling pin is a little bit of overkill. I used a 2" biscuit cutter to cut out biscuit rounds. Bring your dough back together and continue to roll it out until you run out. I got 6 biscuits.

Bake for 20min
or
Bake for 10min then brush with a mixture of melted butter and buttermilk. Bake for an additional 15min. (I know that doesn't equal 20min, they need some extra time due to losing some heat after being taken out of the oven.)


Now make up some chicken, mashed potatoes, and cream gravy and enjoy! Or just slather with butter and jam. 

Happy eating!
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment