Monday, March 5, 2012

Week 10 - Chile con Queso



I know what you're thinking. The Tex-Mex in me has once again reared it's head. I'm not going to deny it. I love Tex-Mex food. If I could eat it every day I would. It's also nice that I can enjoy some chips and queso guilt free, and gluten free fairly often. It's not something that had to be fundamentally changed or manipulated. This is just a simple, flavorful, go to snack in our house. As I've said before, I am a Texas girl.

Note: I didn't say this for the pico but if you have sensitive skin wear gloves when handling peppers. The oils stick to your skin and it burns... alot... and it can for days.

You'll Need:
2 Tbsp Butter
1/2 Onion diced (I used a red onion because it's what was on hand.
2-3 Jalapeno Peppers - seeds and ribs removed diced
2-3 Serrano Peppers - seeds and ribs removed diced
4 Cloves of Garlic minced
2 Tbsp Cornstarch
8oz Milk
6c Shredded Cheese (I used 3c Mild Cheddar, 3c Monterrey Jack)
A Palm Full of Cilantro minced
1 Large Heirloom Tomato diced (or 2 Roma Tomatoes)
4oz Sour Cream

Melt your butter over medium heat. Then add in your onion and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes or until your onions are see through.

Add in your minced garlic and cornstarch. Stir well until the cornstarch coats everything.

Add in your milk and stir continuously until bubbles start to form along the outer edge. (At this point I transferred the pot I was using, which can be used as a double boiler, over a pot of pre-heated water. You are less likely to burn the cheese over a double boiler.)

Add in your cheese 1c at a time, stirring until combined. Then add your cilantro, tomato, and sour cream. Mix well until fully incorporated.

Sit back, mix up a margarita, and enjoy!

Happy eating!
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment