Friday, November 18, 2011

Travelling Gluten Free

The Dreaded Road Trip



Something that most gluten free people dread is the road trip. All those fast food pit stops are out of the question. Finding restaurants in your own town is a chore let alone exploring an entirely new city.

Our first road trip as a gluten free family is happening next week and I am freaking out a little. I've called the hotel to ask about a gluten free options, we are doing a character breakfast with Shrek. I've got a packing list, a set of gluten free commercial organic baby food puches (so much easier to take care of than home made when on the road), and have started packing the things we don't need for home.

When planning your gluten free vacation make sure to plan, plan, plan. You don't want to be stuck without something in a new town without your favorite grocery store.

Gluten Free Packing List
Gluten free baby foods - We bought happy baby. They have some dinners that have gluten free grains and pastas. It's great. They also have some gluten free baby puffs (sweet potato and strawberry) that we are trying to track down locally but you can order off of Amazon.

Gluten free bread - I am baking a loaf of Bob's Red Mill Wonderful Bread Mix the day before, slicing and storing. I am not a huge fan of the frozen breads, but if you don't want to bake the best frozen loaf is Udi's.

Cheese cubes - Naturally gluten free, naturally tasty.

Pepperoni - Hormel is gluten free and the family favorite

Fruit and veggies - Easy things to snack on and an easy way to satisfy the sweet craving without candy.

Granola/ Granola bars - Usually I would make my own granola but this time I don't think it will happen. I will probably buy Soyjoy although it is not my favorite. It is the best commercial alternative I have found and I know plenty of people who love them You can also buy gluten free loose granola.

If you have any other gluten free favorites for road trips please share! I would love to try some great products.

Happy eating traveling!
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment