Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Product Review

Annie's Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese


Once upon a time I used to buy huge multi-packs of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. The blue box standard is easy and great for those 2am study sessions. After going gluten free I found myself missing my cheap and easy fall back.

Annie's Rice Pasta & Cheddar is a great alternative. The pasta is tender but not soggy, the cheese sauce is akin to the sharp salty funk you know and love. But the best part is the blue box. This is something you could serve for your child and their friends without any of the other kids knowing anything is amiss. 

The only downside I have found with this so far is their recommended recipe is missing butter. If you look on the bottom of the box they do say, "for a rihcer sauce add 2tbsp butter," but this is not something you see readily. When making the pasta the recommended way the sauce comes out watery and does not stick to the noodles well. The butter is a necessary addition in my opinion.

Like most things gluten free the price is higher than it's gluten-full alternative, but I think it's quite reasonable at around $2.50 a box (at my local HEB). You can also order it in bulk off of Amazon for around the same price a box, around $30 an order.

Overall I would give this product a 4 out of 5. I think it tastes good and has a great texture but it is still a boxed mac and cheese. I often add ingredients and turn it into my own concoction. I would definitely recommend it for a quick easy meal or a baked mac n' cheese base.

Happy eating!
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment