Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Meal Planning - How to Start

The Basics:


Here's what you need to know. I am a control freak. What I am about to teach you is but a small part of my meal planning routine. My other plans never see the light of day. That is the part when I write down every breakfast, lunch, and snack I am planning to eat for the next month. Like I said, control freak. 

Now really, meal planning is a great tool. Especially if you need to manage your grocery budget better. I only have to make 3 or 4 trips to the store a month. I get most of my shopping done in one go and then I know exactly how much wiggle room I have for the non essentials. 

I like to have my "arsenal" of meals. In our house we have 4 meals that we make for dinner all the time. We have a few that we will make maybe once a month. Then we have the favorites that we make every couple months. We very rarely eat out, unless it is a special occasion.

If you have never planned your meals before start simple. Just plan weekends, or pick one day a week to make one of your favorite meals. Then slowly move up to planning 3 dinners, then 5, then the whole week.

First things first - decide how you are going to notate your plan
You can choose to use google calendar (my personal favorite, I can share it with my husband and he can object before it's time to make the grocery list and leave), a giant whiteboard calendar in the kitchen, a datebook, whatever else you can think of. Pick a planner and stick with it for at least a month. If it's not working find another place and try again. Keep trying different layouts and methods until you find the one that fits your needs.

Second - collect your recipes
Whether you like a recipe book, a recipe box, or an online service having all your recipes in one place is essential for meal planning. That way you can sit and thumb through your recipes at the beginning of the month with your meal plan. This is extremely helpful when you are sitting on your couch at 11:00 at night with a cup of hot tea and your husband asks you "What are we having for dinner tomorrow?" and you realize it is in fact the end of the month.

Third - get a crock pot
When you plan your meals, you can start cooking in the morning and what was once a complex venture becomes a "dump and stir" meal. Not only is this an easy way to make sure you have dinner on the table at dinner time, it's a great time, money, and energy saver.

Take the leap and get started!

Happy Eating
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment