Friday, December 2, 2011

Bacon Risotto





To some risotto may sound like a daunting task, others have no idea what I'm talking about. I will warn you this is a fairly time intensive dish. It's best to make it when you truly have 30min that you can spend exclusively at the stove because you will be stirring... and stirring... and stirring... and stirring... Personally I think it's well worth the work. I am a risotto fan! Today's recipe calls for bacon but you can really make it with almost anything. I know a lot of people use asparagus, or mushrooms. I don't like either of those so I improvised!

1/2 lb of Bacon
3/4 c Arborio Rice (an Italian short grain rice that is very starchy, you really can't use regular white rice)
2 1/2 c Chicken Broth - Heated
2 tbsp Cold Butter
1/4 c Grated Parmesean

First things first, cut your bacon into 1/2in strips. Then cook your bacon to your desired done-ness. I like crispy crunchy bacon, it also adds a nice counterpoint to the creamy risotto.

Set your cooked bacon aside to drain on a paper towel and drain your bacon grease into a container for later. At this point I clean the saute pan that I was using to get all the dregs off but if you want you could use a new pan. Pour about 2 tbsp of the bacon grease back into the pan and put it over medium heat.

(If you are a real Italian you will cook a diced onion in the grease right here. I've been too lazy to try it so far, but an aromatic would probably make this lots better. If you're REALLY Italian there is also garlic and wine involved..)

Once it is hot put the rice in the grease and stir for about 3 minutes. This part is important for taste and color, don't skip it! It comes out funny later. I rushed it once and I never ever will again.

Now add in 1/2c of the hot broth and stir continually until most of the liquid is absorbed. Lather, rinse and repeat until all the broth is absorbed.

After all the broth is soaked up turn off the heat and add your cold butter and Parmesan, stirring it in until it is fully incorporated. Then add the bacon, stir, and serve!

Don't be afraid to get creative and try your favorite meats and veggies in your risotto. Have fun!

Happy eating!
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment