Wednesday, December 14, 2011

They were supposed to be crescent rolls....






If you've done any amount of cooking from scratch, (truly from scratch, no book or recipe to guide you) you know there are flops. There are those recipes that are so awful you wouldn't serve them to your mother in law (of course I have a great relationship with my mother in law so my bar is a little higher than most). They come out of the oven and you lovingly give these "creations" to your children or the neighbor kids and tell them to go build a fort. Here's a brick to get you started. It happens to all of us.

Then there's the miraculous "oops" recipes that turn into something delicious. Like my not so crescent dinner rolls here. These were a complete and total accident. I was trying to make crescent rolls and the dough was gooey not quite biscuit not quite bread consistency. Not roll out and cut crescent dough. It smelled so good though. I had that funky yeasty bread smell wafting through my kitchen. Not to mention gluten free baking supplies are expensive. I did not want to waste my precious flours! So I plopped dollops into a muffin tin. Yes, really. And put my creation into the oven that was preheated to 375º and cooked them for about 20 minutes. I should have timed it. I just watched. I'm sorry.

These. Dinner. Rolls. Are. Delicious.

What a stinkin happy accident. I would horde these if my husband wasn't so hungry and craving bread. They have the crispy outside like a good dinner roll, with the yeasty fluffy innards. Gosh I wish I had some home made preserves! It's amazing what can happen when you mess up.

What you'll need:
1/2 c Tapioca Starch
1/2 c Potato Starch
1/2 c Sweet Rice Flour
1 c Sorghum Flour
1 c Millet Flour
1 Tbsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 c Milk
2 Tbsp Sugar
1Tbsp Yeast
1/2 c (1 stick) Frozen Butter
1/2 c Vegetable Oil

Preheat your oven to 375º.

Put your milk in a sauce pan over low heat and bring to 110º F. Remove from the heat and add your sugar and yeast. Let that sit there while you prep the rest.

Mix all your dry ingredients (Tapioca Starch, Potato Starch, Sweet Rice Flour, Sorghum Flour, Millet Flour, Xanthan Gum, Baking Powder, and Salt) thoroughly until they become one.

Then finely grate your frozen butter in and cut in with a pastry cutter, or two forks, or work in with your hands. It should be the consistency of beach sand. This is where the magic happens. If you like to bake you are familiar with adding little cubes of butter and cutting them into the dough. Trust me, grate frozen butter in. This trick changed my life!

Then make a well in the middle, pour in your oil, and fold it into the dough. Once that is fully incorporated do the same with your milk mixture.

Lay a damp kitchen towel over the bowl and let the yeast do it's thing for 20 minutes or so.

Spoon good size dollops into a muffin tin. My dollops were slightly over the top of each mold.

Then put your rolls in for 20-25 minutes (This is a complete guesstimate. I did not look at the time. I'll pay attention next time and let you know for real. For now watch until they are golden brown and when you can flick the outside and it gives a nice "crack" sound.)

Top with your favorite things and enjoy thoroughly!

Happy eating!
Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment