Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sugar Cookies


There is nothing more special than participating in holiday traditions year after year. That being said my husband and I never bake cookies, until now! After the ease of this year we may just do it more often though. Not to mention it will be fun with the little one once she is a little bigger. These sugar cookies have just a hint of sweetness so that you don't end up with a sugar high after icing them. I'm sure they will be a hit at any Christmas party.

Cookie:
1/2 c (1 stick) Unsalted Butter
1/2 c Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 c Sorghum Flour
1/2 c Tapioca Flour
1/2 c Sweet Rice Flour
1/2 c Millet Flour
1/2 c Corn Starch
1 tsp Xanthan Gum

Cream together butter and sugar until you get a fluffy paste. Then add in eggs and vanilla and mix on medium speed until well blended.

Take salt, baking powder, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, sweet rice flour, millet flour, corn starch, and xanthan gum and mix them all together. Then mix some more, Then mix some more. Once it looks like one flour add your dry to your wet 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well as you go. You should end up with a slightly crumbly but rollable dough.

Take your dough and pour it out on some parchment for rolling. I didn't need any flour to keep my dough from sticking. Roll out your dough to about 1/8 in thick and cut out your favorite shapes.

I haven't tried refrigerating this dough yet. I wanted cookies, and I wanted them now!

Bake at 350ยบ for 10-15 minutes. Then set out to cool.

 Icing:
2 lb Bag Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Salt
4 tsp Vanilla (Colorless)
2 Tbsp Milk
6-10 Tbsp Water
2 Tbsp Light Corn Syrup

Mix everything together until it is a paintable consistency. Then add food colorings and use brushes to "paint" your cookies.

Our 10 month old picked the cookie cutters so we have Santa, a pumpkin, a giraffe, a bell, and her daddy's ninjas.

We enjoyed these cookies quite a bit, my husband even says they taste like "real" cookies. That is high praise! If you don't plan on icing your cookie I would add a tad more sugar. Play around with it and figure out what is best for you and yours!


Happy eating!
Tori Kieschnick



3 comments:

  1. So glad to have a gf sugar cookie recipe now! We always make a million sugar cookies around Christmas, but the recipe calls for regular flour. Now I can make a batch of my own cookies so I don't feel left out! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are definitely a hit wherever I take them, even in the throes of a gluten infested party. I hope you enjoy them and maybe you can even convert your family, I know mine is convinced!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete