Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chicken Nuggets


One of the things I missed most after going gluten free was nugget night. I know that chicken nuggets aren't that healthy. I know that the commercial ones that we used to buy are full of crazy scary stuff. What can I say, I love chicken nuggets.

That was why my first gluten free cooking experiment was the chicken nugget. The first time I made these they were not good.. I only had salt and pepper in my breading, I smashed my Chex in a Ziploc bag instead of food processing it, and I fried the heck out of them. Now they are nuggets to rival Tyson.

2 Chicken Breasts
2 eggs
1 1/2  c Cornstarch
1 1/2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Tbsp Paprika
1/2 Tbsp Black Pepper
A dash or two of dried mustard
3 cups Chex (or other gluten free cereal, my mom used to use corn flakes)

Start off by heating some cooking oil to at least 360º, I prefer 370º. You can use a pot on the stove and a thermometer, we have used the electric skillet, or a deep fryer. If you are using a deep fryer make sure that you are using one that has never ever, ever even once had gluten in it. Gluten gets trapped between the heating elements and in all the joints. It's near impossible to get off.

Place your cornstarch in a large flat dish, put your eggs in a separate dish and scramble, then crush or food process your cereal and spices and put in a 3rd flat dish. If you crush your cereal you will have very crunchy almost sharp nuggets, if you pulse the mix in a food processor it will be more akin to fast food.

Cut your chicken into 1 inch cubes then dip in your egg wash. After the egg dip it in the cornstarch and coat completely, then back in the egg (coat completely), then into the breading (coat completely).

At this point get as many nuggets together as will fit into your cooker of choice. I usually let my nuggets hang out in the breading bowl until I have several ready. Then check to make sure your oil is at temperature.

Put your nuggets into the hot oil and fry for 5 minutes. Remove the nuggets from the oil, place on a paper towel, then allow them to cool for 1 minute. Now enjoy!

You can also fry these for 2 minutes then freeze them and fry again for 5 minutes taken directly from the freezer. They are a great kid friendly meal for those days you have a sleepover with a picky glutenated kiddo. If you don't say anything the other kids will never know. (Serve up with so Annie's gluten free mac and cheese and you are golden!)

Happy eating!
Tori


No comments:

Post a Comment